Abbotsleigh Explore Course for Writers Year 5-8
A workshop for talented writers in Years 5-8
Do you like to write? Do you dream of seeing a book with your name on the cover? Do you just want to write great stories that people will enjoy reading?
Jacqueline Harvey will be conducting a ‘hands on’ writing workshop where students will get to discuss their ideas, do lots of writing and share their work with others. From the original concept through to drafting, editing and publishing, the workshop will focus on a range of activities, designed to assist young writers to develop their skills and gain an in-depth understanding of the writing process.
The workshop will cover many aspects of writing including:
- Finding and developing ideas
- Creating believable characters
- Developing plausible plots
- Using dialogue effectively
- Literary devices
- The importance of editing
- Advice on getting published
A series of practical exercises will give budding writers opportunities to explore style, voice and other key elements of writing as well demystifying the publishing process.
Host an Event
How to host an Alice-Miranda or Clementine Rose party
When a new book comes out or the next time you’re stuck for a theme for your birthday party, why not celebrate with Alice-Miranda and Clementine Rose?
These easy steps will have you partying in style!
- Send our Alice-Miranda or Clementine Rose invitations to everyone on your guest list. Will you make it a dress-up party? Let guests know on the invite if you are.
- Choose the yummy treats you’re going to have. Alice-Miranda and Clementine love food so look through the books for inspiration. You can download this recipe for some scrummy chocolate brownies, they’re perfect for high tea.
- Decide on the games to play. Maybe you can set up a treasure hunt – Alice-Miranda loves solving mysteries after all! Or perhaps you can have a Clementine Rose inspired fashion parade!
- Think of your decorations. You can print off book covers and make them into placemats or cut them into triangles and attach them to ribbons to make bunting. Intersperse the triangles with lots of pretty material. We’ve designed some fabulous place name cards to put on the table you’ve decorated. How about you put your friend’s names through our Name Generator and write them on the name cards! A lovely table cloth and some nice china cups – mismatched ones are the best – will complete the setting.
Have the party! Don’t forget to take lots of photos and have lots of fun! Once you’ve held your event, be sure to come back and tell us all about it! Submit your details via the form below. Your party post may appear on our blog. Make sure you check this is okay with your Mum or Dad before submitting the form.