Thanks to everyone who sent in a recipe or a picture for the July newsletter competition. Congratulations to all – our artists are up first and you might like to try the delicious recipes further down as well.
The first illustration is Francesca Compton-Halls by Clariza and the second is Mayor Silas Wiley by Adriana.
Lemonade Scones from Amy
325g self-raising flour
2/3 cup cold lemonade
2/3 cup thickened cream
- Heat oven to 225 degrees Celsius (205 degrees for fan forced oven)
- Sift flour into a bowl
- Combine lemonade and cream a jug and mix until just combined
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the liquids
- Fold the ingredients together until they are just combined. Do not over mix or the scones will be too tough and heavy. The dough should be soft and sticky
- Place the dough on to a floured bench and gently shape into 2-3cm thick oval
- Dip your scone cutter in flour and cut out your scones and place them on to a lightly floured baking tray.
- Brush each scone with a little bit of milk and then place the scones in the oven and cook for 13-15 minutes
- Once scones are cooked remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving them – preferably warm with fresh jam and whipped cream
Blueberry and banana eggy bread from Amelie
- 2 bananas, each halved and slice lengthways
- 8 slices brioche bread
- 100g blueberries
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 150ml milk
- Pinch cinnamon
- 15g butter
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Arrange the slices of banana on 4 of the brioche slices and scatter the blueberries on top. Drizzle with honey and then place a slice of brioche on top.
- Place the eggs in a shallow dish with the milka nd cinnamon. The dish should be big enough to hold all the brioche sandwiches, so something like a roasting tin would be perfect. Place the brioche sandwiches in the egg mixture and leave for 5 minutes to soak. Turn over and repeat for the other side. Keep turning until each sandwich is soaked well and all the egg has been used up.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan and gently cook the brioche sandwiches for 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown. You might have to do this 2 at a time.
- Transfer to serving plates and serve while still warm, dusted with icing sugar.